Zinc Hair Loss Benefits
The benefits of zinc in hair loss patients who suffer from zinc deficiency can have the following benefits once they get zinc back into their bodies:
- It is believed that zinc is a natural DHT blocker which is a hormone that causes of hair loss in people.
- Zinc helps keep oil glands around the hair working in proper order which helps avoids hair breakage.
- Studies show hair thinning is restored with zinc supplements when the cause of hair loss is zinc deficiency.
Zinc Hair Loss Case Studies
Case Study 1.) In 2016, confirmed blood zinc levels were lower in patients with androgenetic alopecia with “statistical significance”.
Case Study 2.) Zinc levels were lower in all hair loss patients, there were only "significantly" different in those with alopecia areata and telogen effluvium, not androgenetic alopecia.
Case Study 3.) A few studies focusing specifically on alopecia areata saw improvements with zinc supplementation.
Researchers wrote, "Zinc supplementation needs to be given to alopecia areata patients who have a low serum zinc level."
Zinc Hair Loss Deficiency
Symptoms and signs of zinc hair loss deficiency can be:
- skin rashes
- chronic diarrhea
- difficult time healing from wounds
- loss of appetite
- having poor immune health problems
- male and female pattern hair loss
People who are often likely to suffer from zinc deficiency are:
- people with Crohn's disease
- pregnant women
- women who are currently breastfeeding
- people who suffer from sickle cell anemia
- people who have eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia
- people with kidney problems
- people with diabetes
- people who have aids / HIV
- Loss of appetite
- stomach cramps
- vomiting or an urge to gag or vomit
- Ingesting too much zinc can also cause deficiencies in other nutrients
- reduced HDL cholesterol levels in your system ( the good cholesterol ) is also a sign of too much zinc in your body's system
- Immune Problem Functions as well
Symptoms Of Too Much Zinc In Your System
Zinc Hair Loss Food Sources For Regrowth
The best way to get your daily amount of zinc nutrition without overdosing the mineral is by eating the right zinc enriched foods on a daily basis such as your choice of the following foods grocery list:
- Shellfish: Oysters, crab, mussels, lobster and clams
- Meat: Beef, pork, lamb and bison
- Poultry: Turkey and chicken
- Fish: Flounder, sardines, salmon
- Legumes: Chickpeas, lentils, black beans, kidney beans
- Nuts and seeds: Pumpkin seeds, cashews, hemp seeds
- Dairy products: Milk, yogurt and cheese
- Cooked Eggs: Brown or white shelled does not make a difference in nutrition
- Whole grains: Oats, quinoa, brown rice
- Certain vegetables: Mushrooms, kale, peas, asparagus and beet greens
*Animal protein products contain the highest amount of zinc.
In Conclusion Of Zinc Hair Loss
There is little proof that zinc helps to cure hair loss but there is more proof that zinc is helpful with alopecia areata hair loss regrowth, by it's ability to block the hair loss hormone DHT and also known to help strengthen your immune system that causes hair loss in alopecia patients.