Diabetes And Hair Loss,
Is There A Connection?
Is there a connection between diabetes and hair loss?
You might be surprised by the answers that I will discuss with you today.
Let's dig deeper and find out if diabetes can cause hair loss and if so, how and what can be done to help the situation?
Plus learn some treatment options to be better informed on this issue!
Diabetes And Hair Loss What Are The Statistics?
According to statistics about 24% of people with diabetes do not know that they have it.
Also according to the National Diabetes Statistics statistics show that there are 29.1 million Americans with diabetes but that only 21 million people know that they have it, the rest do not know that they have diabetes at all.
Statistics show that 90% of diabetics have Type 2 diabetes.
Could Your Hair loss Be A sign of Diabetes?
Thinning hair loss in women can quite possibly mean that you could have two other issues besides hair loss such as pre-diabetes and or insulin resistance.
When a woman has insulin resistance this can mean that you might have pre-diabetes. These issues can lead to type 2 diabetes.
If insulin levels in your blood stay high over a long period of time then your body will start to develop insulin resistance.
Insulin resistance is a hard issue to reverse because of dealing with further complications such as high blood pressure.
It's because of this vicious cycle that insulin levels in your body will start to increase over time and a heavier weight gain can just make things even harder to handle to reign in and maintain.
Due to insulin resistance women can start to see a change in their hair, such as hair loss or a thinning head of hair.
What Does It Mean To Have Diabetes?
Diabetes mean that the Insulin levels in the body are not working properly.
Insulin is a hormone in your body that help the body distribute the carbohydrates that you eat in a healthy manner.
The foods that you eat create blood sugar in your body then the insulin hormone moves those sugars that are created from the foods you ate to the bloodstream, that's where they are either stored for later or used as energy immediately depending on what food you ate.
The issue people with diabetes have is that their bodies do not produce this hormone insulin or that their bodies don't distribute their insulin properly or both.
When sugar levels build up in the bloodstream, issues can occur such as damage to the kidney's, eyes, blood vessels and nerves in the human body.
The different types of diabetes are called type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Type 1 Diabetes happens due to the immune system attacking the pancreas. The pancreas develops insulin which means that the body can no longer produce insulin and help to regulate blood sugars in a healthy manner.
Type 2 Diabetes happens due to the pancreas not making enough of the proper amount of the hormone insulin that help distribute the right amount of blood sugar in the body.
Causes Of Getting Diabetes
Causes of diabetes can happen from eating the wrong foods that could make things worse such as a constant source of high sugary foods and not excising.
Although you can do the right things to reverse diabetes and manage it such as by exercising managing your weight and making healthier food choices. So there is hope!
How Can Diabetes and Hair Loss Be Related?
These are the top reasons that can cause hair loss. Diabetes and hair loss causes can be complicated so please make sure to see your doctor for definite answers on this subject.
This list is hopefully helpful in learning the reasons of how females can get hair loss including diabetes related hair loss issues.
- Stress: Either physical and or emotional stressful situations can cause female hair loss.
- Hormonal: The hair growth cycle can be seriously disrupted due to hormonal reasons such as post pregnancy reasons, menopausal reasons and uneven estrogen hormone levels to name a few.
- Bad Blood Circulation: Diabetes can damage the blood vessels and not give the proper oxygen needed to your body's organs and tissues. This can make things difficult to deliver the important nutrients to the rest of your body including to the hair follicles. Your hair follicles need the proper nutrients to grow normally. Which in turn can cause hair loss in women. This issue can cause the rest of the body to have hair loss as well.
- Immune System: Diabetes can effect the blood sugar levels to be high which can affect your body's immune system which in turn can cause female hair loss and hair thinning issues such as alopecia.
- Zinc Vitamin Deficiency: Zinc can help prevent breakage in the hair structure and help strengthen the hair follicles as well as help improve female hormonal imbalance.
- Medication Use: Medications can indeed cause hair loss. Medications such as metoprolol and others can cause hair loss in women.
These are just a few reasons hair loss is caused in females see other hair loss causes here.
Treatments For A Diabetes And Hair Loss Connection
- Proper exercise can help improve your blood circulation and counteract poor blood circulation related from diabetes. Better blood circulation will help give you improved hair loss regrowth.
- Getting the right vitamin supplements can help with hair loss regrowth from diabetes such as taking the right amount of biotin supplements.
- Getting help with stress whether emotional or physical can help regulate the hair growth cycle to function better soon.
- Eating the right foods can help with hair loss regrowth and avoiding the bad foods can make huge improvements in your health and hair growth cycle.
- Discuss with your doctor if any prescribed medicines that you are currently taking can be causing medication related hair loss issues in your life. Perhaps they can offer some better advice on what other options you may have to help avoid further hair loss thinning in the future.
- Another opportunity to fix hair loss and hair thinning is to consider using a minoxidil hair loss product such as rogaine and keranique here is a full list of hair loss products that others have seen success in using.
Home > Diabetes and hair loss
Back to the top of this diabetes and hair loss page.
Jul 21, 18 10:43 AM
Wig care professional secrets, showing you how to wash, care, defrizz, and what products to use in order to properly care for your synthetic and human hair wigs.
Jul 20, 18 10:59 AM
Vitamins hair loss, list to help restore female hair thinning.
Jul 19, 18 11:45 AM
Hair loss after pregnancy Cause, treatment options and tips!
Jul 18, 18 11:25 AM
Best hair loss shampoo for women and female hair loss issues to get a restored beautiful full head of hair.
Jul 17, 18 09:58 AM
Hair loss from stress can be easily fixed with the right resources. I tell you the top ways to get rid of female hair loss from stress!
Jul 16, 18 02:49 PM
Diabetes and hair loss find out the causes and treatment solutions to reverse your female hair loss.
Jul 15, 18 10:12 AM
Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss. These are 3 top DIY female hair thinning remedies you could do at home to help stop hair loss.